DataSpace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DataSpace

Place to SHARE your knowledge

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Seen
Seen

How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) Empty
PostSubject: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitimeWed 04 Jun 2008, 9:01 am

This one is for people who can't be bothered to use the mozilla firefox plugin 'Chatzilla' or if you are having difficulty with Espia's tutorial :\

http://dataspace.omgforum.net/announcements-f13/how-to-join-our-irc-channel-chatzilla-t37.htm

Anywho for HydraIRC:

1.Download the client (HydraIRC.exe) from here http://www.hydrairc.com/index.php?page=downloads it's only a nice 900kbs

2.Install it and open the program

3.Next you for to file and then 'New Server', you will then have a window pop-up I believe called User Identity. You can type anything in the Identity Description, Real Name and Username boxes. Your nickname is that one that people see =]. OK so type it whatever nickname you want in there and click 'add'.

4.Righto the window called 'Connect' SHOULD be still open, if not just go file-new server again, in URI type this in lyfe.b3ta.org. So the box there should look like this ->IRC://lyfe.b3ta.org .Next in password type #chan then OK

5.A new tab will open up in the hydrairc program and it will start spamming some stuff. Wait a window called 'Channel List' pops up. Click Populate List and then select the channel #chan

6.Grats your in elephant

-Now then to change your nickname IN the channel. type /nick [desired username].Obviously no two users can have the same nick.
-You can also right click any users name in the 'Usrs List' (Right-hand column) and it will give you a list of options you can do. to talk privately to someone double click their name on the user list and then talk in the new window, to change back to the main convo just look at the tabs up the top and click the one called #chan.
-Type /me [anything] to do that funny purple writing and emote whatever you want (i forgot what its called). I think that's all the main points I covered for it. If i haven't let me know.

Quote :
Note: if Everyone does this, then the /whois command will show the username of the specified person. Now you'll be able to identify people based on these usernames. An added benifit of having your unique username is the ability to register your Nickname so that nobody else can use it. A bonus to registering your nickname is the ability to register a channel and thus be OP for that channel.

This comes from Espia's Chatzilla tutorial but this also works for HydraIRC users. (Just cause we download a 900kb program doesn't mean we're as limited =])

Hmm hope this thing is easy to understand but not too easy so mark doesn't understand it Neutral

TY to Xacro Very Happy for showing me this small program instead of letting me download some massive one when i'm capped xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/M-Fio/
bakadesu
Senior Lecturer
Senior Lecturer
bakadesu

PostSubject: Re: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitimeWed 04 Jun 2008, 11:48 am

wow great... u download hydrairc instead of mozilla....mozzila ftw
Back to top Go down
Espia
Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer
Espia

PostSubject: Re: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitimeWed 04 Jun 2008, 12:08 pm

Thanks seen =]

i believe the plugin is relatively small Razz and imo, if it can chat, it's good =D
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Espia/
Seen
Seen

PostSubject: Re: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitimeWed 04 Jun 2008, 12:08 pm

sif...my laptop doesn't have mozilla
Back to top Go down
Xacro
Xacro

PostSubject: Re: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitimeThu 05 Jun 2008, 1:19 am

Careful not to mix up 'usernames' and 'nicknames'. Its impossible to have the same Nicknames on a server because it's just screwy, but it's possible to have the same username. (i.e. for HydraIRC it would be something like User2334@myRCnet... that's the username). The server, however, has been set to prevent more than 2 connections from the same username.

This is not as important on HydraIRC as it automatically changes the 4 digit number on the end of your username so it's highly unlikely that any two people using HydraIRC on the same server will have the same username (thus you won't be banned). BUT to make things easier for other users, changing the username to something personal, yet unique would allow us to identify them via their usernames (no matter what their nicknames are) by typing /whois nickname.

Imagine if somebody's being fraudulent and you type /whois Fraud and all you get is "this person is chatzilla@myRCnet" or "this person is User2488@myRC.net" when there could 10 other people with the same id? There'd be no way to tell if Mr. Fraud is this person or that person... Not knowing the actual name of the person is fine, but perhaps maintaining a fixed identity would be more mature and less confusing?

Sorry for sounding rantish, but just trying to explain things cleary. I'm not actually ranting Smile

PS:
The purple writing with the /me command is called an 'action' ^^
and Thanks for your hard work xD Writing a tutorial isn't easy.. in my opinion. Have to get inside the dummy's head... *cough looks at alex.
Back to top Go down
Seen
Seen

PostSubject: Re: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitimeThu 05 Jun 2008, 8:18 pm

woah Shocked your good xD you explained the bits that i couldn't ><
Back to top Go down
Xacro
Xacro

PostSubject: Re: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitimeThu 05 Jun 2008, 9:23 pm

Thanks xD. I think i tend to include a lot of useless writing and complicated words though..
Back to top Go down
Seen
Seen

PostSubject: Re: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitimeThu 05 Jun 2008, 9:25 pm

so long as its 'Mark-proof' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)   How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to join IRC Channel. (HydraIRC)
Page 1 of 1